Saturday, August 20, 2011

Discrimination


The experience Jason Hinmon experience after transferring to the University of Delaware from Morehouse College in Atlanta was uncalled for.  Racial profiling should have nothing to do with an individual wanting to receive an education. Hinmon stated, “I came to class and my professors didn’t know how to deal with me. I could barely get them to meet with me during their office hours.”  (Evelyn, 2008).  There should be no reason why they shouldn’t be able to treat and give him the same attention as any other student. 

Dr. Thomas Earl Midgette does make some good point about how students should dress properly, but the way a person dresses, should not indicate what level of education they are trying to achieve. If an educational facility is going use the way a person dresses to evaluate them and their level of seriousness in receiving their education, the school should imply a dress code.

Hinmon should have the right to dress as he does and not feel stereotyped. He dresses that way for a reason. It’s what he feels comfortable wearing.  Everyone has their own style. It would be different if it was a place of employment, but he’s simply just trying to further his education.

Midgette does have a right to his own opinion in thinking that higher education students need to dress and behave differently, but the student should be able to dress as they please. It is a good suggestion for a student to dress and act more appropriate, but it should not be required. It should be a suggestion, and if the student wants to follow it, then they will. Dressing more professionally would help prepare them for their professional lives.

I too used to wear clothing that didn’t fit right. Wearing shirts that were too big, pants below my waste, and I to was somewhat treated differently. I was treated as if I was some kind of trouble maker, but I didn’t care what other people thought of me. As time went on, I took it upon myself to dress more appropriate.  I started wearing the right sized clothing, and starting receiving a little more respect than before.  I never really understood why appearance mattered so much.  Everyone should be able to dress as they please.

REFERENCE


Rosendale, G.R., (2008). Pop perspectives: Readings to critique contemporary culture. McGraw Hill, The Miseducation of Hip-Hop- Discrimination in Education. (pp. 559-566). New York: NY

No comments:

Post a Comment